For about 30 pieces you will need:
- 250g (9oz) softened butter
- 250g (9oz) caster sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla sugar
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp orange liqueur
- 100ml (3oz) strong coffee (50 ml plus 50 ml)
- 250g (9oz) flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 200g (7oz) marzipan
- 200g (7oz)dark chocolate
- 200g (7oz) milk chocolate
- some instant coffee powder
1. Preheat the grill of your oven to 210°C.
2. For the batter, whip butter, sugar, vanilla sugar and salt until light and fluffy, at least for 10 minutes.
3. Add the eggs, one after another and keep beating. Add liqueur and 50ml coffee.
4. Fold in flour and baking powder for a smooth batter.
5. For the marzipan mixture, combine marzipan and the rest of the coffee until smooth and spreadable.
6. Grease a 25x20cm baking pan. Spread 2-3 tablespoons of batter in the pan. Grill for 3-4 minutes until golden-brown.
7. Spread 1 tablespoon of marzipan mixture on the cake layer. Add another 2-3 tablespoons of batter and grill again. Proceed until you have used all of your batter and marzipan. Leave to cool on a cake rack.
8. Cut into 30 pieces.
9. Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a simmering pan. Dip the pieces in the chocolate and sprinkle with some instant coffee powder if you wish.